Paid Leave Oregon contributions are the amounts employers and employees will pay into the program. Contributions start on Jan. 1, 2023. Employees can begin to apply for benefits starting Sept. 3, 2023.
- The total contribution rate for 2023 has been set at 1% on up to $132,900 in wages. The department decides the rate and wage cap by November 15 each year.
- Employees pay 60% of the contribution rate. For example, if an employee’s paycheck totals $1,000 dollars, they would pay $6 as their portion of the contribution rate for that paycheck.
- Employers with 25 or more employees pay 40% of the contribution rate. For example, if a business has more than 25 employees and pays $1 million in payroll, it would pay $10,000 into Paid Leave Oregon each year. Employers will pay 40% ($4,000) of this amount and employees would pay 60% ($6,000).
- Employers can choose to pay the employee portion, full or in part, as a benefit for their employees.
- Small employers, those with fewer than 25 employees, are not required to pay into the program. But, you still need to collect and submit employee contributions and protect their job. Assistance grants are available for small employers.